Amazing Wildlife - The European Red Squirrel

Baby red squirrel resting in a tree

As a wildflife fan, I was pretty excited at the possibility of seeing the native Red Squirrel during my time in the UK. With the introduction of the Grey Squirrel from Northern America, their numbers have sadly diminished drastically. We searched all over. I thought we may have seen some when we were in Donagahadee, Northern Island, alas, it wasn't meant to be.

It wasn't until I got to Germany that I came across my first Red Squirrel. 

Red Squirrel Climbing a tree

I was staying with a friend in Hamburg and as we sat on the deck, we spotted a bright red squirrel prance joyfully across the grass.  Well, my interest was peaked and we were now constantly on alert for the little creatures.

At the end of my trip, we still hadn't come across the elusive squirrel so in a last ditch effort, we sat in my friend's sisters backyard and put out walnuts then waited patiently. Again we were not to be rewarded. As we were leaving, my friend suggested we walk through the trees a short distance from the apartment and we were immediately greeted by their bright fluffiness.

Simply adorable to watch, they played, leaping from tree to tree, chasing each other. Nibbling on twigs, and when it was all too much, taking a nap. 

Red Squirrel Climbing a tree

Red Squirrel Climbing down a tree

Red Squirrel peeking at me from behind a branch

Red Squirrel peeking at me from behind a branch

Love these little guys. I hope they can get the Grey population under control in the UK so that the native Reds can flourish.


Stay well and have a great week.


Nina 😀



THE AUTHOR

My Curious Camera is professional portrait photographer, Nina Beilby. That's me. 😃 📷📷

Follow me as I travel through life with my camera by my side, I share snippets and snaps of my daily adventures.

With my camera at my side, I've been able to record moments of jubilation and happiness. When I have had some of my darkest moments, my adventures with my camera have given me purpose and joy. I hope they give you some too.

Nina

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A munching Wallaby and Jacky Lizard

Must Do Sydney Walk - Top Sydney Walk For Harbour Views

Albania - How On Earth Did I End Up Here?