Changing of The Guard at Buckingham Palace

 

Guards marching outside St James Palace in London
This was my first ever Changing of The Guard so I didn't know what to expect. As always, I didn't stress about not getting any shots. I used this as a sort of reconnaissance mission and if I was lucky to see anything, then all good. Now that I've been, I believe that I had a pretty good plan. I was in fabulous spots to get the best view of the Changing of The Guard ceremony in order to capture images that tell the story. I think the photos speak for themselves but I'll let you be the judge.

Irish guard with musical instruments

Irish Guard band

What Is The Changing of The Guard?

Soldiers are on duty at Buckingham Palace for two days. The Changing of The Guard is a ceremony where the Old Guard hands over to the New Guard on the grounds of Buckingham Palace. 

Soldiers leaving Buckingham Palace

Best Place To See The Changing of The Guard

That really depends on what you want to see because it actually happens in three locations. A contingent of the old guard leaves from St James Palace and the new guard from Wellington Barracks. They both arrive together at Buckingham Palace where the changeover takes place. After the ceremony, they leave Buckingham Palace, one going toward Wellington Barracks and the other, toward St James Palace. Clearly, you cannot be in two places, or three even at one time.  There is a great map, on the Household Division website.

If you are here to experience the ceremony get to Buckingham Palace gates as early as you can but probably no later than 9:30 or 10am and position yourself at the gate.

On this occasion, I was more interested in capturing the event photographically so I selected St James Palace where I was no more than 2 metres without barriers from the marching soldiers. 

Next time, I will begin at Wellington Barracks and the next, I will wait outside Buckingham Palace to get the full photographic story.

close up of the guard leaving Buckingham Palace

St James Palace

I stood across from St James' Palace in Malborough Road and a little way down the street toward the Mall (the police will clear you away from the Palace side).  After they passed, I followed the parade down The Mall where the Guard made their way around the left of the Victoria Memorial roundabout and into Buckingham Palace.

After the ceremony, one of the guards leaves from the left gate toward Wellington Barracks and the other from the right gate toward St James Palace so pick which you'd like to see. I was outside the right gate.

The guard marching with arms

What Time Does The Changing of The Guard Take Place?

I was in position at St James Palace by 10am. Nothing really happened until 10:30am. The actual handover at Buckingham Palace is at 11am.

Irish band playing the drums

Photographing The Changing of The Guard

For these images, I used my Canon 5R and 100-400mm lens which I found perfect for the occasion.

Which Days Does The Changing of The Guard Take Place?

The Changing of The Guard usually happens every Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Sunday. It can be cancelled at short notice so do check the official website with the schedule, which, also shows the units that will be marching and other information.

More Information about The Changing of The Guard

There are many websites out there but I found the Household Division official website the most informative.

Two young girls watching the changing of the guard

As always, if you have any questions, do to hesitate to ask.

Stay well and have a great week.

Nina 😊


THE AUTHOR
That's me. Initially, I thought to describe myself by my profession, I'm a Professional Photographer. Yet, I am much more than my work. I am an insightful, intelligent, adventurous woman on a life journey of discovery about myself and the universe. Every day is an adventure and if you are happy to follow along, I am happy for you to join me.

Where you can find my work...
I will be documenting my travels through photography on Facebook and Instagram. Prints will also be available on my website. If you are interested in following along, here are some of my sites.

Facebook Group - Finding Nina Adventure
Sharing daily adventures from my travels including discoveries about myself and the people around me 

Blog - Personal journey - Finding Nina Adventure
I packed up my apartment and head overseas in search of adventure, growth and heading. I share the personal side of my journey. What I've learned about myself and others along the way.

An in-depth look at places I've visited with plenty of travel information from Ireland, France, UK, Iceland and who knows where next.  

Where you can purchase signed, framed limited edition prints of my work.

My professional work as a portrait photographer

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A munching Wallaby and Jacky Lizard

Albania - How On Earth Did I End Up Here?