Top Five Things To Do In Canberra for Art, Nature and Wildlife lovers

Long known as a place of government and little else, Australia's capital is not usually on the top of people's bucket list. If you haven't been in a while, I think you'll find it has a much-improved vibrance and if you are an art, nature and wildlife lover as I am, Canberra has a lot to offer.

Here are five of my favourite spots from my recent trip. 


What I absolutely love about Tidbinbilla is being able to walk around with the wildlife. Occasionally an Eastern Grey will pop up its head in curiosity with a "yep, another human", then busily go back to the task at hand. This task being nibbling on the grass or fussing over a joey trying to get back into the pouch. I realise they are abundant and that a "management plan" is in place to control the population but for the vast majority of city dwellers, including myself, it is still a pleasant novelty.


The reserve is nestled in the Tidbinbilla Valley, just a short drive from the city. There are loads of walking trails or you can just drive around and stop here and there and enjoy the wildlife and scenery. With the Ranger-led talks for both adults and children, there really is something for everyone. Best of all, the park fees have been waived for the remainder of 2020 so now is a fabulous time to visit.

There is always something impressive to see at the National Gallery. This visit, we watched as the Urs Fisher sculpture melted before our eyes, and the XU ZHEN® sculpture followed us around the room.





Right across from the National Gallery is the Portrait Gallery. It is a much smaller space so easy to do both in the same morning. My preference for food is also here so we try to time it with lunch. As a portrait photographer, The National Portrait Photographic Prize Exhibit was a must.

Portrait of 105 year old Dancer
My Aunt and my favourite, portrait of 105 year old dancer, Eileen Kramer

The Pub Rock exhibit brought back memories of Southern Comfort nights at The Northern Hotel and the time my sister fell asleep at an INXS concert!  There were quite a few images of The Cockroaches (aka The Wiggles). Wait, wasn't that just yesterday?





Don't get me wrong, plants can be beautiful like these Qualap Bell Pimelea Physodes (I had to look that up!) but there are much more to these gardens than just plants.  As well as being a lovely place to walk around, there is plenty else to do:

. Have lunch or coffee at the cafe
. Visit the Bee Hotel
. Walk around The Red Centre Garden
. View photographs, craft and paintings in the Gallery 
. Watch birds flitting about or photograph them as I did
. Spot the echidna, snakes or swamp wallabies
. Have a picnic with friends


A bonus being a few minutes from the centre of the city but the best thing of all is entry to the Gardens is free.


Red-browed Finch

It was so nice to see multiple generations enjoying the visiting and local wildlife in the wetlands.  I was especially delighted to see parents with their toddlers pointing out various bird species. These kids will undoubtedly grow up with an appreciation of nature and the outdoors and to those Mums and Dads, I thank you.

Even if you aren't an enthusiast, the wetlands are a lovely place to exercise. 

As we were admiring the frog song in the algae-covered pond, a family of kangaroo hopped on by. Love it.



THE AUTHOR

My Curious Camera is professional portrait photographer, Nina Beilby. That's me. 😃 📷📷

Follow me as I travel through life with my camera by my side, I share snippets and snaps of my daily adventures.

With my camera at my side, I've been able to record moments of jubilation and happiness. When I have had some of my darkest moments, my adventures with my camera have given me purpose and joy. I hope they give you some too.

Nina x

READ MORE
Thanks for stopping by. Feel free to leave a comment or recommendation.

If you would like to read more about wildlife or flowers, these posts have more photos of the above places.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A munching Wallaby and Jacky Lizard

Changing of The Guard at Buckingham Palace

Bird Walk to Sooth A Restless Spirit